httpd-users mailing list archives

From "some one" <yeahk...@hotmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] reverse proxy from 2.0.52 -> 1.3.31 gives intermittent 502's
Date Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:02:49 GMT
I have a setup with a front end apache2 machine reverse proxying dynamic
(mod_perl/Mason) pages from an app server running 1.3. I'm using mod_rewrite
with the P flag to send certain directories through and for some of these
pages I get intermittent 502's returned.

There are a few strange things that crop up - first, in the browser I can
simply reload and see at least one 502 every 5 or 10 pageviews. But I can go
forever running links on the front end server getting the same page from the
appserver. So I believe that the problem lies in the proxy server.

Another thing is, printing periodic messages in the proxied page so I can
see how far it gets in the error logs, sort of shows it stopping around the
same place, but not always in the same place. I suspect, that for some
reason the proxy server is closing the connection prematurely and my
application stops the next time it tries to print to the closed pipe.

But, I can not for the life of me determine what is happening. Has anyone
seen this before or could give me some tips on where I should start looking?
error_logs and mod_rewrite logs don't contain any useful info and mod_proxy
does not seem to have any independent logging.

Thanks in advance for any help!

felix