httpd-users mailing list archives

From Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Linux RPMs + Apache configs
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:00:19 GMT
--On Wednesday, October 27, 2004 8:00 AM -0400 Warron French
<wfrench@xtria.com> wrote:

> If Apache was installed via RPM when I installed and configured my Red
> Hat linux system, can I still make modifications to apache (version
> 2.0.40) in this case to get it to work with PHP and/or Perl.  By PHP and
> Perl I guess I should clarify mod_php and mod_perl right?

Which version of Red Hat? I'm using Fedora Core 2 and this is relatively
easy. Just use yum to add the add-ons you want.

For mod_perl:

yum install mod_perl

For mod_php

yum install php

yum will install the needed RPM's, including any dependencies. It will also
fetch any updates for your distro, so you'll have the latest security
fixes. (yum is a front-end for RPM that handles dependency resolution.)

Avoid installing software on RPM-based systems without RPM. This has the
risk of causing your hand-edits to get overwritten the next time you pull
down a security update via RPM.

Instead of "installing from source", install from a source RPM if you need
to customize. A source RPM (ends in .src.rpm) contains the original tarball
plus Red Hat's patches, customizations, and additional files needed to fit
in the Red Hat file layout. Add your initials to the new RPM's release
number to distinguish it from official builds. Check http://www.rpm.org/
and join the RPM mailing list for more info.