httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Thamm, Russell" <russell.th...@dsto.defence.gov.au>
Subject [users@httpd] Running apache as NT Service
Date Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:54:11 GMT
Hi.

I just upgraded apache from 2.0.47 to 2.0.52.

Since I use SSL, I didn't use the msi version.

Instead I downloaded an SSL compatible version from http://brandleadershipmarketing.com/apache/.

I uninstalled the old service and renamed the old directory (d:\apache -> d:\apache_old).

I extracted the new version from ZIP to d:\apache, modified the config files to match the
old ones,
copied all the content, password files etc from the old version.

Everything seems to work perfectly except that I cannot run the new version as an NT service.

It runs perfectly as a console application. I can access all the content, my Webdav repository
and the subversion repository. I get no errors in the console window or in the log.

apache -t informs me that I have no errors in the config file.

However, when I try to start it as a service, I get the error:

"The Apache2 service returned service specific error".

The NT Event log specifies event 7024.

There is nothing added to the logs. This indicates that apache is not getting as far as accessing
the log files.

I tried adding the registry entry: HKLM/SOFTWARE/Apache Group/Apache/2.0.52 - (ServerRoot
= "d:\apache\").

I tried specifying the config file on the command line:

  apache -k install -f d:\apache\conf\httpd.conf

Nothing works.

Any ideas
Russell Thamm