httpd-users mailing list archives

From Steve Suhre <st...@Antero.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Intermittent CGI data
Date Tue, 19 Oct 2004 19:28:40 GMT

Ok, sorry, it's a weird one... Method can be post or get. Script 1
generates the form or the get request and passes information on to script
2. Script 2 sometimes receives the information and works properly, other
times it does not get the data from script 1. It seems to be a server
problem because it happens with more than one set of scripts on this server
and each is different, and if I move these scripts to another server they
work fine. The scripts are written in perl and the cgi data is retrieved
via environment variables $ENV just like it's done a hundred times on other
servers here, but this machine has trouble intermittently and the data
doesn't always make it to the second script. If it didn't work at all it
would be much easier to fix, but it just seems to not-work occasionally.
I've installed some code to check the incoming cgi data in script 2 and
sometimes it's just not there. Worse yet, the customer will try it while
I'm on the phone with them and their page will come back empty, I'll do the
exact same thing and mine will work fine. And then sometimes it will give
me an empty page too. Data passed to script 1 from another server always
seems to work, but data from a script on this server passed to another
script on this same server is intermittent. The scripts are not complicated
at all, just a little data processing and send a web page back....

I'm yankin' out what little hair I have left..... It could be perl I guess,
or BSD, but I thought I'd start with the apache server to see if anyone had
any ideas....

At 12:09 PM 10/19/2004, Aman Raheja wrote:
>what method, post/get are you using to send the data across?
>there could be a problem with your script - most likely.
>you might need cgi group's help rather than apache.
>give more info if possible.
>Thanks
>Aman Raheja
>
>Steve Suhre wrote:
>

>>I've got a pair of scripts running on a BSD server with Apache and SSL.
>>Sometimes the cgi data doesn't make it from script 1 to script 2, and
>>sometimes it does.... I don't even know where to look... The log files
>>show no problems, but script 2 will occasionally croak because
>>CONTENT_LENGTH is empty. It almost always seems to work for me, but it
>>can be very tenacious about failing for other people at times. Anyone
>>have any ideas??

---
Steve Suhre
Antero web technologies