httpd-users mailing list archives

From Patrick Cossette <pcosse...@aei.ca>
Subject [users@httpd] Two servers, Same domain, Different pages
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2004 18:38:41 GMT
Hi,

I am setting up 2 web servers with Apache 2 :

   - both servers will respond to the same HTTP_HOST, which is
<http://www.foo.com>www.foo.com,
but my DNS will point www to only one of those 2 servers (let's call it
server #1)

   - each of the 2 servers will serve different pages.  Server #1 will have
about 20 directories under DocumentRoot as well as a few Alias directives,
which he will happily serve:
               <http://www.foo.com/directory1>www.foo.com/directory1
               www.foo.com/directory2
               <http://www.foo.com/directory3>www.foo.com/directory3
               www.foo.com/directory20
               <http://www.foo.com/alias1>www.foo.com/alias1
               www.foo.com/alias2

   - when server #1 gets a request for something else than those directories
and aliases, I want it to redirect the request to server #2.  If possible
(but that's not mandatory), I do not want the user in front of the browser
to know that it is redirected to another server, so a request for
<http://www.foo.com/otherdirectory>www.foo.com/otherdirectory will show
that very address
(<http://www.foo.com/otherdirectory>www.foo.com/otherdirectory) in the
address bar, even though the page is
served from server #2, which is not really www.

I thought of using rewrite maps on server #1 (I would put the 20
directories and aliases in the map, and whenever Apache does not find the
requested URL in the map, I would redirect the browser to the other
server), or I also thought using a
script as the ErrorDocument for 404 errors on server #1.

Does anybody think of a better way of doing this?  I want good performance too.

Thank you for any hint you might have.

Patrick C.
email: <mailto:pcossette@aei.ca>pcossette@aei.ca