httpd-users mailing list archives

From jdyke <jd...@azimapower.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] PHP3 and PHP4
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:08:26 GMT
Robert Andersson wrote:

> Warron French wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know if these [PHP3 and PHP4] are backwards
>> compatible with each other?
>

> Not with eachother, but I'm pretty sure that PHP 4 deals with PHP 3
> scripts just fine.

The big thing you'll have to watch out for is the change to having
register_globals = off.

$HTTP_GET_VARS['varname'] is no longer created as $varname automatically, you
must use the superglobal arrays, or turn register_globals = on, reazing the
implications. If you had been coding with $HTTP_GET_VARS['varname'] in php3,
this should not affect you.

if you find yourself recoding for this, notice that a shorthand $_GET has been
added, and is an *independent* array, not a copy of $HTTP_GET_VARS, each can be
modified individually.

Jeff