httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael Gale <michael.g...@utilitran.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Using Apache as part of a hosting solution ?
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2004 20:45:44 GMT
Hello,

	Thanks for the reply ... with regards to the Dual Opteron 242 server
with 5000 Hosts ... do you have the postgressql on that same box. From
your email is sounds like you do ...

Thanks again.

Michael.

Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2004-10-20 11:54:30, schrieb Michael Gale:
>
>>Hello,
>

>>We want to use Apache for the web server portion. My question is, is
>>there a maximum number of Virtual Host that apache can handle ? or would
>>that be a server limitation ??
>

> Not for "apache" but for your memory :-)
>
> I run on a Dual Athlon MP1900 with 4 GByte Memory
> around 1400 VirtualHosts and have reached the limit...
>
> I think, I will use a Dual Opteron 242 with 24 GByte of memory...
>

>>Please let me know if any one sees any concerns with this setup or
>>improvements.
>

> Hmmm I prefer to install one Opteron 242 Server for around
> 5000 Hosts using php and postgresql and without loadbalancing.
>
> If you do loadbalancing with e.g. 3 Servers, two servers must handel
> the Trafic of three if one fails... And if you have not enough
> resources the other two Servers going down (own experience)
>
> Greetings
> Michelle

Michael Gale
Lan Administrator
Utilitran Corp.

The best part is when the people who know the least are the ones ranting
and raving.