httpd-users mailing list archives

From Christopher R Newman <christopher.new...@alcatel.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Is there a maximum value for DEFAULT_LIMIT_REQUEST_FIELDSIZE?
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:54:42 GMT
Sorry.  I sort of hid my reasoning after Joshua's response in the last
email.  Didn't wanna bother anyone who didn't care with too much info.
 The snippet from the last email below tells a little about why I need
to increase the limit on the request header size (not the request body).

<snip>

The browser isn't limiting the request, which is why I have a problem with
Apache's limits.  I have several large cookies that I write in JS.  Then
when I redirect to a CGI, the browser builds a list of cookies that match
the new URL and sends it in the request header as expected.  Apache doesn't
like the large header so it returns an error.  The entire site stops working
because the browser still passes the same list of cookies for any requested
page... unless I delete some cookies.  This is a real pain!

</snip>

Thanks,
Chris

Nick Kew wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Christopher R Newman wrote:
>

>>Thanks for the quick response Joshua.
>>
>>I would really appreciate it if someone (so Joshua can have a break ;-)
>> ) could tell me if changing the value from 8192 to something like
>> 65535 would greatly increase the memory requirements.  I'm guessing
>>Josh was talking about how the internal buffer size has to be 2 bytes
>>greater than the limit but I don't know how much that affects performance.
>>

>I don't know the answer.
>
>But I wonder if you've understood the question?  The 8190 isn't a limit
>on request size, nor on the size of any part of a request body in a POST
>or PUT request.  Why do you need to grow it?

Chris Newman       Alcatel USA          Work:(919)850-5586
Software Engineer  2301 Sugar Bush Rd.  Fax:(919)850-6160
Test Automation    Raleigh, NC 27601    Christopher.Newman@alcatel.com