httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Simon <os...@zetnet.co.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Content Negotiation and PHP
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:42:40 GMT
Robert Andersson wrote:
> As a workaround you can always use mod_rewrite to internally redirect
> the requests. IF you do this to avoid the file extension, and not the
> true purpose, that is, negotiation.
>
> Specifically:
>
>    RewriteEngine On
>    RewriteRule ^test$ test.php [L]

I'll have a play with that.  Thank you for the suggestion.

Yes, it's extension hiding that I really want, not the negotiation, as
there will not be both .html and .php files of the same name.  I just
want to write my site with extensionless links from the start using
.html files, then in the future rename them to .php without breaking
links or bookmarks.  The only problem is if the rewrite will cause the
extension to appear in the address bar - I would want the URL to remain
as the requested URL, not the URL that was found.

--
Chris Simon
   osian@zetnet.co.uk