httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ian Jeffray <...@jeffray.co.uk>
Subject [users@httpd] Proxy on multiple ports - 2nd port has less facilities?
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:43:33 GMT
Hi all,

I sincerely hope this isn't a configuration question... I've
read as much as I can, and believe this may be a bug, so:

I've been using apache as a proxy for some time now, and I
also use the same apache to host a number of websites.
For various reasons, which are not important here, it is
vital that people using the proxy can get directly to those
hosted websites VIA the proxy.

This basically "feels" like apache is talking to itself, to
the user.  Great.  It works just fine -- on port 80.

For other amusing reasons which are not important here, I also
want the proxy to listen on a 2nd port.   I do this by adding
a "Listen" directive.  It works just fine.

EXCEPT:  Requests to the proxy on this 2nd port cannot get
pages from the websites hosted by apache itself.  Very odd.
The requests just get forwarded out of the system, which
then cannot find the server in question (it basically tries
to request out of our firewall for something which is inside it
and should have been handled, so gets blocked there, in any
case, I don't want requests going out of the firewall, router,
then back in it... that's just silly).

Has anyone else come across this issue with the proxy server
or have any ideas what may be causing it?

I'm using Apache/1.3.31 (Debian GNU/Linux) from debian 'testing'
distribution.

TIA

Ian Jeffray