httpd-users mailing list archives

From Frank Reichenbacher <fr...@mollynet.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Installed a router -- what a mistake!
Date Sun, 03 Oct 2004 06:40:03 GMT
Jim Walls wrote:

> Frank Reichenbacher wrote:
> > My consultant at work talked me into installing a router on my home LAN,
> > which has been gatewayed through my RH 7.0 box on which I have an Apache
> > webserver (1.3.23) and qmail email server.
> >
> > The router is the Multitech RF560VPN. It sits between the DSL modem and
> > the webserver and the rest of the LAN. Ports 80, 25, and 110 are
> > redirected to the RH server at the LAN address of 192.168.1.1.
> >
> > My one static IP, 66.93.153.62 is pointed to mollynet.com on the RH box.
> > The httpd.conf includes www.mollynet.com plus a bunch of Name virt
> > hosts. Here are samples of the httpd.conf file:
>
> I have not read through this line by line nor am I specifically familiar
> with that particular router (but I'm assuming it's a reasonably typical
> home/small office NAT type router), but I think I see the problem.  If I
> understand this right, you have a static IP address of 66.93.153.62 from
> your ISP, and your home LAN runs a sub-net of 192.168.1.x, and you have
> your server configured with a fixed IP address of 192.168.1.1.  Lastly
> you have all your virtual hosts configured to listen to 66.93.153.62.
> The first issue I see is that generally home type NAT routers use
> x.x.x.1 as the IP address on the LAN side so in your case the router LAN
> port IP address would be 192.168.1.1, which is the same as the IP
> address that you configured for your server.

Nope, I set the router to 192.168.1.100 so it won't conflict with any
other local IP.

This may not be the case
> with this particular router, but it is something to check.  Second item
> is that the config file specifies an IP address of 66.93.153.62 to
> listen to, but that computer does not have a NIC with that IP address.
> Either specify the actual address of your server, or use *

This is it. You hit the nail right on the top of his pointy little head
here. I completely forgot about that. So I went into httpd.conf and
changed 66.93.163.62 to 192.168.1.1 and voila! It works.

Thanks Jim!