httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jim Walls <k6...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Installed a router -- what a mistake!
Date Sun, 03 Oct 2004 04:58:24 GMT
Frank Reichenbacher wrote:
> My consultant at work talked me into installing a router on my home LAN,
> which has been gatewayed through my RH 7.0 box on which I have an Apache
> webserver (1.3.23) and qmail email server.
>
> The router is the Multitech RF560VPN. It sits between the DSL modem and
> the webserver and the rest of the LAN. Ports 80, 25, and 110 are
> redirected to the RH server at the LAN address of 192.168.1.1.
>
> My one static IP, 66.93.153.62 is pointed to mollynet.com on the RH box.
> The httpd.conf includes www.mollynet.com plus a bunch of Name virt
> hosts. Here are samples of the httpd.conf file:

I have not read through this line by line nor am I specifically familiar
with that particular router (but I'm assuming it's a reasonably typical
home/small office NAT type router), but I think I see the problem.  If I
understand this right, you have a static IP address of 66.93.153.62 from
your ISP, and your home LAN runs a sub-net of 192.168.1.x, and you have
your server configured with a fixed IP address of 192.168.1.1.  Lastly
you have all your virtual hosts configured to listen to 66.93.153.62.
The first issue I see is that generally home type NAT routers use
x.x.x.1 as the IP address on the LAN side so in your case the router LAN
port IP address would be 192.168.1.1, which is the same as the IP
address that you configured for your server.  This may not be the case
with this particular router, but it is something to check.  Second item
is that the config file specifies an IP address of 66.93.153.62 to
listen to, but that computer does not have a NIC with that IP address.
Either specify the actual address of your server, or use *

--
73