httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jaikumar Ganesh <jaikumargan...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache help needed
Date Sat, 30 Oct 2004 02:42:25 GMT
Hi
  Would be grateful if anyone can help me with these
questions...

a) When i start the apache server, using apachectl I
need the script to prompt for a password.
   How do i do this? Is there any option already
provided by apache so that I need not have to change
the script?

I need to also store the password as it will be used
for encryption purposes.

b) Does apache maintain numerical user ids for all the
users present in the password file created using the
"htpasswd" utility?

c) I am using "htpasswd" utility to create new users
and i store all the password + user names in a single
file (Not using .htaccess).

  I have also modified my httpd.conf to validate the
user and have the statement "require valid-user".

Now when a client creates a new account, what is the
user name, password it has to send so that the new
account details are added, since access is available
only for those users present in the password file. I
don't want to put user:anonymous, passwd: annonymous
in the password file.

  is there any good solution to this? Can i specify
multiple authentication realms?

-Thanks
Jaikumar