httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eugene <list-apa...@fsck.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Configuration: KeepAlive & TimeOut
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2004 05:19:04 GMT
On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 06:54:47PM -0400, David Pontzer wrote:
: Eugene wrote:
: : On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 08:25:08AM -0400, David Pontzer wrote:
: : :
: : : Ref: Apache 2.0 on Windows 2000.  Despite setting KeepAlive on and
: : : the timeouts set to the default (rather short), I have page and
: : : image connections that persist for hundreds of thousands of
: : : seconds even when no "real" connections exist.  Why is this?  How
: : : can I get these "connections" to die?  Thanks in advance from a
: : : newby.  djp
: :
: : What is telling you that Apache has that many persistent connections?
: :
: : What do you have for MaxKeepAliveRequests, KeepAliveTimeout, and Timeout?
: : How about MaxRequestsPerChild?
:
: Eugene, I am able to see these connections by calling
: 127.0.0.1/server-status (see example below).  The settings you asked
: about are:
:
: Timeout 300
: KeepAlive On
: MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
: KeepAliveTimeout 15
: <IfModule mpm_winnt.c>
: ThreadsPerChild 250
: MaxRequestsPerChild  0

It's possible that there could be a memory leak or something borked
that's causing a child process not to properly close any lingering
connections.  Try setting MaxRequestsPerChild to 1000 and move it up
or down (preferrably up) to see if it helps to terminate these child
server processes.  Note: my background is more with Unix tuning.
You might get better answers from other folks who specialize with
Apache on Windows 2k.

--
Eugene