httpd-users mailing list archives

From James Hunter <jed...@onperfect.com>
Subject [users@httpd] editing conf/httpd.conf
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:37:32 GMT

I downloaded apache in preparation for downloading EZ publish.

I have only very ordinary computing skills.

I downloaded apache both apache 1.3.31 and httpd-2.0.52. I am assuming the the
second one overrode the first and that having downloaded both will not be a
problem. (Tell me if I am wrong.)

I had trouble getting my web browser (Konqueror) to pull up any localhost. I
looked again through the INSTALL file and found this:

If you have unpacked this binary distribution from the .zip package, you
  _must_ edit the conf/httpd.conf file (with notepad or another text editor)
  to reflect the correct ServerName, Domain, and directory paths.

I found the conf/httpd file and looked through it. I would be able to edit it
with vi if I knew what to put in it. I assume that the path is the path
referred to  to the httpd file. I know what this is.  I don't know what to
put in for domain. Also, for server name can I just make up whatever I want
the site to be called?

I know this is pretty elementary stuff, but any help would be appreciated.

jedson