httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michelle Konzack <linux4miche...@freenet.de>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: Using Apache as part of a hosting solution ?
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2004 20:31:05 GMT
Am 2004-10-20 11:54:30, schrieb Michael Gale:
> Hello,

> We want to use Apache for the web server portion. My question is, is
> there a maximum number of Virtual Host that apache can handle ? or would
> that be a server limitation ??

Not for "apache" but for your memory :-)

I run on a Dual Athlon MP1900 with 4 GByte Memory
around 1400 VirtualHosts and have reached the limit...

I think, I will use a Dual Opteron 242 with 24 GByte of memory...

> Please let me know if any one sees any concerns with this setup or
> improvements.

Hmmm I prefer to install one Opteron 242 Server for around
5000 Hosts using php and postgresql and without loadbalancing.

If you do loadbalancing with e.g. 3 Servers, two servers must handel
the Trafic of three if one fails... And if you have not enough
resources the other two Servers going down (own experience)

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi