httpd-users mailing list archives

From hunter <theanti...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] why NOT add compress feature into apache?
Date Sat, 09 Oct 2004 13:48:59 GMT
On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 16:27:49 +0800, 贾良玉 <jialy@surekam.com> wrote:
> Hi, Chris:
>
> Thanks for your quick info.  Is this a standard feature for most web server or just for
what you build?  Does it support Linux, Unix and other OS platforms?

> cheers,
>
> Larry

(like IE) sends request to server, it can compress the right contents based on MIME types
with the right suitable compress algorithisms, maybe by default, coz most browsers support
uncompress algorithisms which can be embedded into HTTP request header?  This will great benefit
both sides (client and server), plus it saves a lot network bandwidth.  I would like to see
this feature build into all web server, especially into apache.  Any comments?

> > regards,
> >
> > Larry
> >
> Larry,
>
> When built with zlib, mod_deflate is created. When properly configured
> it does what you are suggesting.
>
> The Apache for Windows binaries that I build are made with zlib and
> are available from http://hunter.campbus.com or
> http://tor.ath.cx/~hunter/apache.
>
> Chris Lewis

Larry,

Apache has many optional modules that can be enabled. Some must be
built at compile time or they do not exist while others are built by
default and yet others can be downloaded from other sites. mod_ssl and
mod_deflate require source that is obtained separately, so it is not
included by default.

It is the server owner who decides what modules to use. mod_deflate is
an optional module. Like mod_ssl, mod_deflate must be built at compile
time. To to do this the zlib source is placed into the srclib
directory - the makefile finds this source and builds mod_deflate. The
module must still be properly enabled in the httpd.conf.

Though I am referring to the Apache for Windows build, I suspect that
this applies to the *nix builds as well.

Chris Lewis