httpd-users mailing list archives

From Axel-Stéphane SMORGRAV <Axel-Stephane.SMORG...@europe.adp.com>
Subject [users@httpd] RE : [users@httpd] performance issues with Apache and mod_ssl
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2004 08:06:18 GMT
You do not specify what platform you are running on.

Have you observed CPU usage on the proxy server? Have you attempted to monitor proxy activity
using server-status?

Have you monitored network activity? Are you sure that there is enough bandwidth available?
I mean, when you use a proxy server you somehow multiply bandwidth utilisation by two unless
the proxy server and web server are on the same host.

Regarding the SSL issue, have you configured a SSL Session Cache, and in that case do you
use som kind of database file (dbm)? Have you monitored disk IO on your proxy? Is it significantly
higher when you use SSL than when you don't? Have you monitored CPU when using SSL? Do you
have a cryptographic accelerator card? Are you sure that your Apache process actually uses
that card?

Just some thoughts based on recent experience with resolving similar performance problems...

-ascs

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Max Maxime [mailto:mmaxime3@boursorama.com]
Envoyé : vendredi 22 octobre 2004 10:18
À : users@httpd.apache.org
Objet : [users@httpd] performance issues with Apache and mod_ssl

Hello,

I got the following configuration :
- apache 2.0.50 and mod_ssl
- Configuration of Apache like a reverse SSL proxy
- Access from this proxy to web server which are secure and
non secure.

After doing some performances testing in our lab, we see
that :
- For non secure Web site, we devide per 2 the performance
of the access (from 100 hits/s to 50 hits/s when going
through the proxy)
- For secure Web site, it is even worth : our SSL web site
does not have high performances (17 h/s) but with proxy it
is catasthophic : 5 h/s

Does some of you have any clue about what I should do :
Remove Apache ?

Thanks.

Maxime

Toute la bourse en direct sur http://www.boursorama.com Boursorama en temps reel par telephone