httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Redirected URL query string being lost
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:02:40 GMT
Steffen Heil wrote:
> Right now it works in IE, Mozilla, Firefox and other tested browsers.

Yes, but we should build by standards, not so it happens to work in some
browsers. I'm a fundamentalist, I know ;)

> I observed that I can set ... action="?" ..., which is a relative url with
> no parameters.
> Is this valid (X)HTML ?

Perfectly valid, and generally what I do. At least I think so, I would need
to re-read RFC 1808 to be 100% sure:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1808.txt

> No, 303 seems to do the right thing, but rfc2616 seems to imply that
> most user agents don't understand this and you should use 302.

You're right! I missed that. This code seems to be the standard way of
achieving what we want.

I think the "pre-HTTP/1.1" user agents thay talk about is really old; was
the 303 code introduced in HTTP/1.1? If so, I'd think those who do not
recognize the 303, would still do the desired thing when they get a 3xx
status with a Location header.

This is getting very OT, but hopefully someone found it educational.

Regards,
Robert Andersson