httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Segmented Page Updates
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:24:56 GMT
Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> I would like to serve pages to my client's browsers (primarily Firefox)
> where after clicking an option in a part of the page a different area
> changes.  Example:  a list of people is displayed in an independently
> scrollable column on the left side, and as each person's name is clicked,
> their detailed information is displayed in the upper right.  What
> technology should I look into to accomplish this using Apache 1.x on Linux
> and Firefox browsers?  Frames, layouts, or something else?

The best (cleanest) way IMO is to generate a complete HTML document for each
"option"; dynamic pages are evil ;) If this is for an intranet, it is
usually fine. If you cannot aford the extra bandwidth required, use an
<iframe> to hold the contents, and set its URI with javascript in the
<select>'s onchange attribute.

This has nothing to do with the server.

Regards,
Robert Andersson