httpd-users mailing list archives

From 贾良玉 <ji...@surekam.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] why NOT add compress feature into apache?
Date Sat, 09 Oct 2004 08:27:49 GMT
Hi, Chris:

Thanks for your quick info.  Is this a standard feature for most web server or just for what
you build?  Does it support Linux, Unix and other OS platforms?

cheers,

Larry
----- Original Message -----
From: "hunter" <theantigod@gmail.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 09, 2004 4:05 PM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] why NOT add compress feature into apache?

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 15:46:24 +0800, 贾良玉 <jialy@surekam.com> wrote:
> Hi, all:
>
> I just wonder why not build compress feature into apache so whenever web browser (like
IE) sends request to server, it can compress the right contents based on MIME types with the
right suitable compress algorithisms, maybe by default, coz most browsers support uncompress
algorithisms which can be embedded into HTTP request header?  This will great benefit both
sides (client and server), plus it saves a lot network bandwidth.  I would like to see this
feature build into all web server, especially into apache.  Any comments?

> regards,
>
> Larry

Larry,

When built with zlib, mod_deflate is created. When properly configured
it does what you are suggesting.

The Apache for Windows binaries that I build are made with zlib and
are available from http://hunter.campbus.com or
http://tor.ath.cx/~hunter/apache.

Chris Lewis