httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Christopher Theunissen" <christopher_theunis...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.52 on Windows 2000 Professional Stops Responding Due to Multiple Simultaneous Requests
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:18:04 GMT
In fact, it only takes 7 requests for it to stop responding:
    ab -n 7 http://webserver/26kb.jpg

The next access to the website using a browser causes the site to stop
responding.

I have to stop and start Apache to get it running again - a normal restart
does not work.

----- Original Message -----
From: Christopher Theunissen
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 11:57 PM
Subject: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.52 on Windows 2000 Professional Stops
Responding Due to Multiple Simultaneous Requests

Hi

Apache 2.0.52 on Windows 2000 Professional stops responding after a few
hours.

At first, I thought it had something to do with PHP, as I was getting the
following error in the log, which is related to some know PHP bugs:
    "[notice] Parent: child process exited with status 4294967295 --
Restarting"

However, none of the PHP workarounds made any difference and anyway, I can
reproduce the problem by sending 50 concurrent requests for a 26KB JPG on
the server using ab:
    ab -n 100 -c 50 http://webserver/26kb.jpg

In fact, on my own PC, I end up with a bluescreen.

A netstat -an shows there are 100 TIME_WAIT connections on port 80.

58 GET entries appear in the access log, but no errors are reported in the
error log, even when the log level is set to debug.

It is not a memory problem, as the server has 800MB and peak memory usage is
only 313MB.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be, as this has been going
on for over a week?

Regards
Christopher Theunissen