httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Steve Forsyth" <spfor...@co.riverside.ca.us>
Subject [users@httpd] Major slow down for web apps on Apache 2 (somewhere in high speed connection between depts)
Date Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:48:50 GMT
Hi All,

I'm a developer, not a network guy... so please forgive me if I don't make any since :)

We have an Apache 2.x server running with Tomcat 4.1.x and it is running just fine wtihin
our dept and it runs fast from other remote depts... these depts are all hooked together via
fairly high speed connections.

However, I have come across one dept that is having severe slow-downs when connecting to our
web server. I have to qualify what is slowing down... it seems to be ONLY web port 80 and
443. We can send across a file with very high speed from the same server to the workstation
without a problem. ALSO, another dept that has a Tomcat stand-alone web server seems to be
running with good speed. It seems that there is something in the connection between our depts
and on ports 80 & 443 that has problems.

Here is what we've seen so far:
1) Sorry, this is copied from an email sent by a person that put a sniffer on the connection.

     From the Sniffer trace I looked at when bringing up the first screen on the slow address,
I see:
     15 packets of handshaking very fast (with .001 or less delta, very FAST) ,
     a 7 second pause,
     hand shaking (.001 second or less again FAST),
     7 second pause,
     More hand shaking (fast fast)
     7 second pause,
     then data flows from the serrver (158.61.144.118).

     Also, In the 40 seconds it takes to bring up this login screen, the server sends me 5
WINS requests (who are you) and received 5 answers. (pc1299 workgroup jsanders)

     As you can see from the above... our only clue at this point is that WINS might be doing
something.
     We are also thinking about possible DNS issues as each dept does their own thing.

2) A separate web server in another dept running the same web app is getting connected just
fine.

3) It seems to be only web ports 80 & 443 that have the problem as we can send a 16Mb
file over the same connection from the same server in a matter of seconds whereas a minimal
web page is taking 30 secs.

4) also, I have not verified this yet, but I have heard that another app that is running on
IIS in our dept has the same problems.  This would lead me to believe it's not necessarily
an Apache issue as much as settings in Apache & IIS or in our network somewhere.

5) I just checked this... it seems that if I go straight to Tomcat with port 8080... everything
flies right along.

As far as I'm aware, we don't have any experts in this arena within our organization.

I would appreciate any help, even if it's just what kind of expert I would want to find and/or
what company has experts in this arena.

We are in Southern California, US

Thanks,
Steve