httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Mysterious 401 Error
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2004 00:09:05 GMT
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 18:19:47 -0500, Jennifer Zelazny <web@calgb.org> wrote:

> When I use the first line, every user gets prompted correctly, but the
> script produces an email saying there was a 401 error "401 No
> Authorization ()", but nothing gets logged to my specified Apache error
> log.  (I even have it on debug level).
>

> Is there any way I can debug this?  Maybe the script is wrong?  But the
> script is obviously getting something from Apache to cause the email to
> be generated.

The script is wrong.

Apache calls the 401 error handler on every access to an authenticated
directory that doesn't include a password.  This is because the 401
error document is what tells the browser to prompt for a password.
You need to make your error handling script smart enough to recognize
this.  Most simply, just tell it not to mail you on 401 errors.

Joshua.