httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] location-based virtual hosts ??
Date Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:17:56 GMT
[Please post in plain text.]

> What are the possibilities to implement a kind of 'location-based virtual hosts', in
which
> virtual hosts are all set on the same IP, DNS name and port, but are recognized by the

> first part of the URL context path?

No.  But there are two solutions to your problem:

1. Do they REALLY need to be in separate virtual hosts?  Why?  Most
directives that can be put in a <VirtualHost> section can also go in a
<Directory> section under the virtual host.  Be more specific about
exactly why you think you need virtual hosts and perhaps we can help
you more.

2. Do the multiple-apache-installs on different ports technique, but
use ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse on the port-80 install to map all
the other installs into the same namespace.  See the mod_proxy
documentation for details as well as
http://www.apacheweek.com/features/reverseproxies

Joshua.