httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Running scripts as different users
Date Tue, 28 Sep 2004 13:04:42 GMT
[Please post in plain text.]

> I would like appA to run as userA and appB to run as user appB.

> I would like the applications to both be accesible via port 80.

> Is Suexec my only solution here?

You have two options:

1. suexec/cgiwrap/etc (suid execution of cgi scripts)

2. Run the two apps on different apache instances on different ports
and use ProxyPass from apache on port 80 to reach the other apps.

And no, this was never possible with apache 1.3.  User/Group inside
the <VirtualHost> only affected suexec, not the user for regular
requests.  This is a basic limit of the unix permissions model. You
can't switch users inside the same process and then get back to root
again without creating security problems.

Joshua.