httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] 2.0.51, httpd.conf, Regex could not be compiled
Date Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:41:21 GMT
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:35:09 -0400 (EDT), S.A. Birl
<sbirl+apache-list@concept.temple.edu> wrote:
> I tried upgrading from 2.0.49 to .51 today.
>
> Everything seemed to go OK; ./configure didnt die, nor did make.
> But when I started the .51 binary, I received:
>
> "
> Syntax error on line 447 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf
> Regex could not be compiled
> "
>
> Line 447:
> <Files ~ "*Susie_Sorrento*">

I believe some extra error checking was added for regexes in .50 or .51.

In any case, the error message is correct.  Your regex makes no sense.
 The "*" character means "match zero or more of the last character".
So it makes no sense to have the "*" at the start of the string where
there is no last character.

Probably what you want is to simply remove the "~".  Then the "*" will
be interpreted according to shell-wildcard rules (match any character
except the "/").

Joshua.