httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Minimizing Apache
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:14:49 GMT
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:24:14 -0400, Jacinto, Alex G (GE Energy)
<alex.jacinto@ps.ge.com> wrote:

> How can I minimize the size of httpd?  I upgraded from 1.3 to 2.0 and my
> size more than tripled (from 800K to 3M).  Plus I had to include the
> following libraries:
>
> libapr.so
> libaprutil.so
> libexpat.so
>
> I only included the modules that I had for 1.3.  I have limited space and
> wondering if it is possible to not include the libraries above and how do I
> do it?  And what else can I do to minimize the binary size?

Are you worried about disk space or memory usage?

If the former, make sure you strip everything.

If the latter, then you shouldn't be worrying about total size, but
rather the amount of memory that is not shared between the apache
processes.  Use a tool like top to see what real memory each process
is using.

Joshua.