httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Proxy and cache webdav handling
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:01:04 GMT
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:31:23 +0200, Ronan Meneu <rmeneu@eprocess.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to use apache as a Proxy to cache requests from subversion (a
> tool that could replace cvs). This tool uses webdav http extensions.
>
> I can manage to have a correct httpd.conf that works well and caches
> correctly some GET request. I have tested this fact with "wget", both
> through proxies based on apache 1.3.31 and apache2.
>
> If i run "svn co http://...", no cache are handled. I don't know if this
> comes from svn not sending correct http headers, or my proxy cache not
> being properly configured.
>
> I have got few questions: is there a way to have more logs about http
> headers ? do i need to activate mod_dav on my proxy cache ? are other
> users having same problem ? is there a tool to test webdav extension
> separately (a sort of wget-dav...) ?
>
> Well, any help would be appreciated.

I am not an SVN expert, but I believe that it uses a
slightly-underhanded technique to avoid doing a bunch of GET requests:
it shoves a bunch of files into one REPORT requests/response.  And my
guess would be that apache won't even try to cache a REPORT.

As far as diagnostic tools, you can look at mod_log_forensic:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_log_forensic.html
from the apache side and neon:
http://www.webdav.org/neon/
from the client side.  (The neon library is also used by svn.)

Joshua.