httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sergey Spiridonov <s...@hurd.homeunix.org>
Subject [users@httpd] several apaches as a replacement for suexec
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:25:38 GMT
Hi,

I want to setup server for me and for my friends
(4 people currently). I use Debian.

I read about well-known problem of the access rights when using virtual
host option. One of the possible solutions is suexec, but it has several
disadvatages:

1. Performance penalty (because of impossibility to use
mod_php/mod_perl)
2. Necessity to copy standard php applications from the standard
distribution location (under usr) to the users directiories. This cause
problems when users want to use one of the standard perl/php web
applications which come with Debian distro.

A there better ways to solve this problem?
For example, is it possible to setup the system in such a way:

- set up for each of my 4 users "local" apache, which will run
with uid and gid of the user, with docroot somewhere under
home/user/www, and listening on the localhost:port, where port is
10000+i and i is user number.

- set up one "global" apache, which will listen on internet interface,
port 80, define virtual host and will redirect all requests for virtual
host to the apropriate "local" apache.

What do you think? Is it possible at all? Does it make sense? Will it
work as expected?
--
Best regards, Sergey Spiridonov