httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to limit simultaneous CGI processes?
Date Sun, 26 Sep 2004 00:38:56 GMT
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Phil Endecott wrote:

> The CGI program uses lots of memory.  Running one or two instances at
> the same time is fine, but many more than that and the (virtual) machine
> starts to swap and slows down horribly.  So I'd like to limit the number
> of simultaneous instances of the CGI process that Apache will start to a
> small number (and queue, rather than discard, additional requests).
> However, I don't want to limit the serving of static pages in any way.

Perhaps the nearest thing to that available is mod_load_average, from
http://force-elite.com/~chip/archives/mod_load_average-0.1.0-test3.tar.bz2

That works on load average.  If you substitute a syscall that returns
memory usage (read from /proc if TFM doesn't suggest anything better)
it should do what you want.

--
Nick Kew