httpd-users mailing list archives

From Steve Harris <shar...@myra.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] proxy server fun
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:07:47 GMT
Hi,

I've experienced similar problems with applications that do things like
build url's from the request header and also insist on hardcoding urls in
content that gets returned to the browser.

I've always tried to take the approach of getting the application to
understand that it is working in a reverse proxy (have the same problem
with hardware load balanced environments) environment - i.e. the app
shouldn't try and hard code the url's - at least the apps should be
able to accept a paramter to allow you to determine the url it should return.

Don't know if you've tried it but my best friend for troubleshooting this
type of problem is curl - allows you to see the html in it's raw form.

Hope this helps.

Cheers - Steve

He didn't administer a reign of terror, just the occasional light shower.
 - Terry Pratchett, Sourcery