httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Antoine PICOLET" <antoine.pico...@sagem.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Réf. : Re: [users@httpd] location-based virtual hosts ??
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:01:49 GMT
Thank you very much for your answer.

1. There are several configuration options which cannot be specific to a
<Directory> (correct me if I'm wrong):
 * suExecUserGroup : The Applications do use a lot of CGI, and each
Application has its own user (different companies don't trust each
other...); every file used by an Application is owned by that user. We
thus have to use suExec, so that each installed Application CGI can run
under their user.
 * ErrorLog / AccessLog : each Application would like to have its own log
file, so that their own developers could debug it. If they don't, it will
be me...

These are the directives I control. Beyond them, there are all the
directives brought by the Applications, whom I do not control and don't
even know before they arrive. I must suppose they all come with weird,
incompatible directives in several modules.

2. Thank you very much for this idea. This seems actually much better than
my mod_rewrite project, because it is made for that ... I will investigate
in this direction, but it already seem I will be using that.

[Sorry for HTML... Lotus Notes have hundred of funny options nobody
understands, but I spent two hours to find hox to send plain text
messages. Does it work ?]

Antoine

Joshua Slive <jslive@gmail.com>

28/09/2004 19:17
Veuillez répondre à users
Remis le : 28/09/2004 19:18

        Pour :  users@httpd.apache.org
        cc :    (ccc : Antoine PICOLET/DRD/SAGEM)
        Objet : Re: [users@httpd] location-based virtual hosts ??

[Please post in plain text.]

> What are the possibilities to implement a kind of 'location-based
virtual hosts', in which
> virtual hosts are all set on the same IP, DNS name and port, but are
recognized by the
> first part of the URL context path?

No.  But there are two solutions to your problem:

1. Do they REALLY need to be in separate virtual hosts?  Why?  Most
directives that can be put in a <VirtualHost> section can also go in a
<Directory> section under the virtual host.  Be more specific about
exactly why you think you need virtual hosts and perhaps we can help
you more.

2. Do the multiple-apache-installs on different ports technique, but
use ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse on the port-80 install to map all
the other installs into the same namespace.  See the mod_proxy
documentation for details as well as
http://www.apacheweek.com/features/reverseproxies

Joshua.