httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Antoine PICOLET" <antoine.pico...@sagem.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Réf. : Re: [users@httpd] location-based virtual hosts ??
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:09:21 GMT
In fact, all these Applications, installed together on the platform,
constitue a product, which will be duplicated, and use different DNS name
(which is why, by the way, I cannot control the DNS mapping ?).

In case of a so-called 'location-based virtal hosting', the inter-app
links will be fairly simple :

Instead of :
Problem : what is the 'myname.com' ?

Antoine

"Tim Burden" <tim@burden.ca>

28/09/2004 19:17
Veuillez répondre à users
Remis le : 28/09/2004 19:19

        Pour :  <users@httpd.apache.org>
        cc :    (ccc : Antoine PICOLET/DRD/SAGEM)
        Objet : Re: [users@httpd] location-based virtual hosts ??

Why can't you control the DNS mapping? If you could do even a DNS wildcard
*.yourhost.com A your.server.ip.addr

then you could do regular name-based vhosting.

I don't see how any solution will get around the problem that for
inter-app
links, each will have to know something about how to reach the other app:
subdomain, a port, a directory name, etc. So what's so bad about port
numbers?