httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Newbie locating Virtual hosts
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2004 07:38:52 GMT

A VH docroot can be anywhere on the filesystem. However, to be served by
apache you need two things:

- the apache "User" must have read access to the dir (this is most
simply achieved by having the apache user belong to the same group as
normal user and having the dir group-readable).
- access to the direcory must NOT be be blocked by a "Deny" directive
(if in doubt, put:

<Directory /home/user-name>
  Allow from all
</Directory>

> My question - Is it good practice to do it this way or is the best way
> to go for the defaults /var/www/html/"username", it just
> seems easier to
> autmaticaly add new users to /home/, I can change the
> permisions to the
> /home/ dir but I'm wondering about security issues.

There are no security issues. There's nothing special about /var/www or
anywhere else. This is just the default your particular version of Linux
has decided to use. You can put the docroots anywhere.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> james

Groupe SWX.