httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Help! - CGI not executing
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:25:46 GMT

At this point it would be really nice to to know the OS...

> But, if I execute the same
> code, same
> perl version on the web server I get a generic 500 Internal
> Server error.

Since we don't know the OS, I will assume linux/unix: When apache
executes a CGI program, it does so in a new shell which it forks. The
environment of this shell is by default quite restricted - specifically,
the shell has the user privs of the user defined by the "User" directive
in the config. Also, it won't contain the environment variable settings
of that user unless you pass them with "PassEnv". If the CGI relies on
any ENVs or user privs then you'll have to take care of that.

> I tried to view the error.log but it says it is in use and I
> cannot open
> it.

This sounds like windows... Presumably if you stop apache you will be
able to access it.

You *must* get into the error_log - it is the only way to see what is
going on. If you get something boring like "premature end of script
headers", then switch on ScriptLogging (see
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_cgi.html#scriptlog for details)
which will trap the program output.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> I compared the http.conf file on my machine with the one
> on the server
> and the settings were all the same.  Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.

> ----------------
> Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments,
> contains information that is, or may be, covered by the
> Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521,
> and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you
> are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you
> are legally prohibited from retaining, using, copying,
> distributing, or otherwise disclosing this information in any
> manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have
> received this communication in error, and then immediately
> delete it. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Groupe SWX.

views of the sender's company.