httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] httpd - Really DNS - OT
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2004 07:23:57 GMT

Your machine cannot translate the domain-name 'carroll.aset.psu.edu'
into an IP address (this process is called "domain name resolution").
The usual way to resolve a domain like this is to use the domain name
service (DNS) which is a facility on the public internet. To use DNS
properly, your computer has to:

- be told to use DNS (see /etc/nsswitch.conf, look for "hosts: files
dns")
- have a DNS server defined (see /etc/resolv.conf)
- the DNS server has to work.

Your ISP will usually provide a DNS server for you.

Your name resolution mechanism is not working properly
(carroll.aset.psu.edu resolves to 128.118.2.96, incidentally). Can you
access sites via a browser (eg, www.apache.org?).

How you configure your computer is specific to the OS - probably MDK has
a GUI for doing this, but this is not the place to ask about that...
this problem has nothing to do with apache so you should take further
queries to a linux or MDK support group.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Thanks
>
> KL
>
> >From: "ugunja ugunja" <ugunjaugunja@hotmail.com>
> >To: users@httpd.apache.org
> >Subject: [users@httpd] httpd
> >Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:38:01 +0000
> >
> >Hello,
> >
> >I installed MDK-10.0 (2.6.3-7mdk kernel)-Community on my
> system. The httpd2
> >does not work and the error_log file says
> >" Function not implemented: mod_rewrite:
> >could not create rewrite_log_lock Configuration Failed "
> >
> >I wonder whether you could give me help here. Anybody knows
> about this
> >error? Please help.
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >MK

> >Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download
> today - it's FREE!
> >hthttp://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

Groupe SWX.

views of the sender's company.