httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Adding timeouts to Apache 2.0
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2004 07:11:34 GMT
Plain text please...

Further to Jim's comments about the inherent difficulties of controlling
client behaviour from the server, I would venture that the game is not
worth the candle.

If you want to implement a timeout, then presumably you are worried
about security. If you're worried about security you shouldn't really be
relying on basic auth... It is a very simple mechanism which can be
penetrated with a limited effort. If you have something genuinely
important to protect, you simply have to use a server-sided session
management application (based on mod_perl, PHP, Cocoon etc.).

To put it another way, if my bank put my account details behind a basic
auth login, I'd close my account immediately.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

Groupe SWX.