httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Steffen Heil" <li...@steffen-heil.de>
Subject AW: [users@httpd] Listening on Port 81...
Date Sun, 12 Sep 2004 15:38:15 GMT
Hi

> I have not so sophisticated users, and telling them that they have to
append the port number seems a bit much, is there a way around this for me?

No.
http://domain.tld is resolved in two parts:
1. DNS resolves domain.tld to your IP, no port here.
2. http implies port 80.
So requests go to your IP on port 80.

The are only two things you can do:
1. Give your server two ips. Have one for apache and one for your other
application (both on port 80, see apaches Listen directive).
2. Move you other application to another port and have apache on port 80,
use apaches ProxyPass directive to forward a special domain to your
application on the new port.
Both ways enable you to reach both servers using port 80.

Regards,
  Steffen