httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Jenkins <david.jenk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to Configure Apache to work behind router with a dynamic IP [ver 2]
Date Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:33:37 GMT
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:07:44 -0600, camroe@telusplanet.net
<camroe@telusplanet.net> wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > But I can't surf to it!
>
> What does this mean?
> What is the error, exactly ?
> Have you checked the logs (access and error) ?
>

> When I try IE (or Netscape) from an external machine (outside of the local
> network) I do not see the default apache test page as I do when I use browse
> to the site on a local machine.
> The error message that I get on Netscape is
>
> The connection was refused when attempting to contact xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>
> (which sounds like a network 'thing')
>
> I attempted to telnet to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 80     and got the same connection
> refused. Actually 'connection timed out' from a linux box and a 'Could not
> open connection to the host, on port 80' from a windows box.
>
> There are no messages in either the access_log or the error_log so I'm
> assuming that the request never gets to apache!  Is there access on port 80
> that needs to be set?
>
> As I mentioned I thought the only thing was the iptables, that I turned off.
> So when I do an iptables -L   I get the following:
>
> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
> target prot opt source                  destination
>
> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
> target prot opt source                  destination
>
> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
> target prot opt source                  destination
>
> I belive that this should allow all access. ( I can telnet to it)
>
> Many thanks for the suggestions by the way! Is there anything else I should
> be doing?
>
> Cheers
>
> Cam

Hi Camroe,

It sounds as though no data is getting to the server from outside.

Have you tried sniffing the connection with tcpdump?
Does your router have a firewall or packet sniffer built into it?

Why don't you disable FTP and set apache to listen on port 21
temporarily for example.

At least you know data gets through on port 21...

David