httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Jenkins <david.jenk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Which linux is the ^best^?
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:00:19 GMT
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:13:34 -0700, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you tried Gentoo?  I'd be interested to know what you think of it
> comparatively.  Its portage system is based on ports.
>
> - Grant

Hi Grant,

(Please note, I do not want to start a flame war here, these are just
MY thoughts)

Yes, I have tried Gentoo. The Portage system is excellent, and the
fact that you can customise and optimise pretty much everything is an
excellent learning exercise (as well as the obvious performance
benefits).

I have a Sun Ultra1, and I ran Gentoo on that for a little while, but
I found that building something from the Portage tree was
approximately 3-4 times slower than just compiling from source. I also
wasn't fussed on the "rc" startup scripts in Gentoo.
("emerge" is a Python script I believe, and certainly on older/slower
machines it takes far too long to compile things. NB - I haven't tried
it on a fast system with stacks of RAM)

Personally though, I can find very little wrong with Open and FreeBSD.
The filesystem layout, the performance is certainly second to none,
both are very secure, and the documentation is superb.

The ONLY downside I have found to the BSD family is the performance of
MySQL, it's currently slightly quicker in Linux.

One final thought, the Linux community (various distributions) are all
slightly different and don't install things in the same places etc ...
there just doesn't seem any defined structure.

But, you need to pick the right tool for the job, and if you're more
comfortable with Linux then use that.

Regards,
David