httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Rajiv Ranjan" <Rajiv_Ran...@mindtree.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Listening on Port 81...
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2004 07:24:44 GMT
The protocol by default takes port 80 for all http requests so u need not
mention the port for applications
running on port 80. For all other applications running on different port, you
need to mention the port number
as well. The options before you are either to move the older application on
some other port or use a separate
IP for apache and run it on port 80.

-----Original Message-----
From: operationsengineer1@yahoo.com
[mailto:operationsengineer1@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2004 12:35 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Listening on Port 81...

can you move the other program to port 81?  just a
thought.

--- O-One <ola_one@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I gathered that Apache by default listens on Port
> 80. I have another application listening on port 80
> right now.
>
> If I put Apache on Port 81, is it possible to have a
> URL that would not include the port no. In other
> words, when Apache listens on Port 81, I am trying
> to type the following URL and it takes me to my site
> http://www.mysite.com from what I have been reading,
> it seems any port other than 80 has to have the Port
> number appended to the URL and that way my URL would
> be http://www.mysite.com:81
>
> I have not so sophisticated users, and telling them
> that they have to append the port number seems a bit
> much, is there a way around this for me?
>
> If there is anything I can do, please explain it to
> me, still a newbie.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> O-One

DISCLAIMER:
This message (including attachment if any) is confidential and may be privileged. Before opening
attachments please check them for viruses and defects. MindTree Consulting Private Limited
(MindTree) will not be responsible for any viruses or defects or any forwarded attachments
emanating either from within MindTree or outside. If you have received this message by mistake
please notify the sender by return  e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorized
use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited.  Please note
that e-mails are susceptible to change and MindTree shall not be liable for any improper,
untimely or incomplete transmission.