httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Aaron Crosman" <ACros...@afsc.org>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Which linux is the ^best^?
Date Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:28:54 GMT
>Hi guys. I've decided to upgrade my server from RH9 to
> something more popular for web hosters. I know some
> people that recommends to hosters to use FreeBSD.
>Somebody uses Debian, my friend is fanatic of SuSe.
>So the question is: Which Linux is the best for network
>solutions? Maybe I should try the Enterprise solution
>from Red Hat? What do you think about it? I have some
> requirements: I will use Tomcat or other App container
>to run Java on my system, then I need PHP with MySQL,
>and obviously-Perl and Python. Mailserver also required.
> And also I prefer to use Open Source products. So if you
> can suggest me one of linux family that can work with all
>these "onboard" without problems - please give me to know.
> It was hard to me to make it work well on RH9 so now
>I have fear to migrate on other system.

I'm a big SuSe fan, but not for production servers.  If you're new to
Linux, it's a nice way to get you feet wet, with really good GUI tools
to help you survive the learning curve.  BUT in my experience the
overhead required becomes a drain on the system, and sucks up drive
space better used for the server's mission, not drawing pictures for me.

Personally I like Debian for server situations.  It's stable and well
supported by its large user base.  I when I first setup our collection
of server here I was concerned that I would have problems with
differences between out local SuSe machines and our hosted Debain
machine, but the only time's I've had trouble was during the initial
setup of the Debian system (but I have a server host that did a great
job helping me get it all setup).  Once it was in place, everything else
has work quite well, and for developing web sites I haven't had any
trouble moving between them (well excepting when I do something dumb
like change database names in one place and not the other).

Aaron