httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Aaron Crosman" <ACros...@afsc.org>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] asp conversion
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:23:39 GMT
>I am involved in converting a web site running asp-iis-ms to
php-apache-linux.  I have several pages under the old site that are
getting a lot of hits
>from the search engines which I would like to preserve.  The pages are
all very simple ... no db access, just html for the most part ...
>but they have the .asp extension.
>
>My question is about Apache::ASP.
>
>Is it feasible to move these pages over and use the Apache::ASP module
to show them?

>Will this mess up my current search engine links to these pages?

During our recent conversion along these same lines we opted to use
mod_rewrite to make sure that all existing links were maintained.  We
were less concerned about the search engines as people's old bookmarks
but I believe the same ideas should apply (at least until Google and
friends re-parse the site, at which point it wont matter anymore).  We
simply redirect all requests to /somepage.asp to /somepage.php.  Granted
I'm still new to Apache and newer still to this list, so there may be
very good reasons why I did it the wrong way, but it seems to be working
well for us.

Aaron