httpd-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rob Szarka <szli...@szarka.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] PDF plug-in issues under 2.0.48
Date Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:04:53 GMT
At 01:18 PM 9/27/04, you wrote:
>I have the same problem - same situation.  You can "fix" this on the 
>client side (Acrobat/Reader 6.x) by going into Preferences->IInternet and 
>de-selecting all the Browser options.  The app will now start up as a 
>stand-alone app and the file will be displayed properly.  I also tried 
>Firefox with no problem.  It is also not a problem on other OSes (Linux, OS X).

Yeah, not much of a "fix", though. The "x-pdf" workaround I'm using gets 
essentially the same result without reconfiguring the clients.

>Do you know what the 200 and 206 error codes imply?

Both are result codes for a successful request, but 206 means that partial 
cotnent was requested and returned. See 
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html for definitions.

>If you right click on the target link in IE and select "Save Target as..." 
>the file is saved to disk and is then readable.  So it appears that an 
>http: transfer within IE6 is garbling the header of the file.  I was able 
>to save a copy of a garbled file ("File does not begin with '%PDF'") and 
>saw that the tail end of the file matched the original file but the top of 
>the file was missing.

Makes sense, since it was apparently the result of a partial request. I 
also verified that the original files did start with the "%PDF" magic 
incantation.  :)

>Still looking for a solution... considering upgrading to 2.0.51 with hopes 
>it will be re-solved.  Adobe's site doesn't mention this problem.  Haven't 
>called them.  I am sure many people are having the same problem.

I didn't see anything in the changelog for 2.0.51 that suggested it fixed 
this problem, but I could have misread or missed it. An update doesn't 
appear to be available from SUSE yet; so, while I may upgrade to 2.0.51 on 
my Slackware and FreeBSD systems, I'd rather wait for the SUSE update on 
that server unless I'm sure upgrading will fix the problem.

In one of the messages I found that mentioned the "x-pdf" workaround, the 
poster related how, after wasting $35/hour trying to fix this with Adobe's 
tech support, they called back to tell Adobe about their solution to the 
problem, but Adobe didn't even want to hear about it. As with most "tech 
support", YMMV.  ;)

-- 
Surf the Sea of Noise!  http://seaofnoise.com/blosxom/


---------------------------------------------------------------------
The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
   "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org


Mime
View raw message