httpd-users mailing list archives

From Phil Endecott <spam_from_apache_us...@chezphil.org>
Subject [users@httpd] How to limit simultaneous CGI processes?
Date Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:59:00 GMT
Dear Apache experts,

I have an Apache2 server that serves a mixture of static and dynamic CGI
content.  It is running inside a user-mode-linux virtual machine which
has a fast processor but not much RAM.

The CGI program uses lots of memory.  Running one or two instances at
the same time is fine, but many more than that and the (virtual) machine
starts to swap and slows down horribly.  So I'd like to limit the number
of simultaneous instances of the CGI process that Apache will start to a
small number (and queue, rather than discard, additional requests).
However, I don't want to limit the serving of static pages in any way.

I have looked through the various configuration options and I can only
see directives that impose a blanket limit on the number of simultaneous
requests (e.g. MaxClients).  Is there some way that I can impose a limit
on only CGI processes?  (Or, equivalently, get the effect of MaxClients
within a <directory> or <file>?)

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

--Phil Endecott.