httpd-users mailing list archives

From Aman Raheja <arah...@techquotes.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Two machines, load balancing with Proxy?
Date Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:52:56 GMT
Marvin Vek wrote:

> I'm going to put 2 webservers on 2 different locations. First i
> thought: put half of the account op one machine, the other half on the
> other, so that both machines hopefully have the same amount of traffic.
>
> Then a read an article (http://linux.yyz.us/ipv6/proxy.html) about an
> innovative way of making IPv6 webservers with proxies. When i didn't
> really understand that, i searched the Apache Documentation and found
> information
> (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_proxy.html#forwardreverse) on a
> reverse proxy configuration.

It is indeed a good idea to do so. Have yoy looked at the mod_rewrite -
it has a good load balancing trick which is very commonly used.

> Now i'm not really sure if it's possible, but lets say i use the linux
> tool rsync to mirror the 2 webservers on different connections at
> different locations, lets say once an hour or so, and use that
> described reversed proxy, i get a load balancing effect?

Yes you will get the effect and the time for sync really depends on your
application and how often things update/change.

> How should i see that.. is it like a client opens the website, and the
> proxies send the client the website contents from 2 connections?

The proxy gets the request and sends it to one of the two webservers and
of course sends the response to the client, who would never know which
server actually processed it.

> If i understand right, the bandwith for the website is increased,
> cause 2 different connections can send at the same time.. (though
> these connections have an upload speed of 1Mbit/s, which would result
> in some more than 1Mbit/s?).

NOT exactly - indeed now you have two servers in the back responding to
client requests that come through the proxy which obviously means you
are not increasing the external bandwidth by any means but indeed
enhancing your website's performance.

> Please let me know where i'm right, and where i'm wrong, or how i
> should see it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Marvin Vek

HTH