httpd-users mailing list archives

From Marvin Vek <lc...@bit.nl.eu.org>
Subject [users@httpd] Two machines, load balancing with Proxy?
Date Wed, 22 Sep 2004 04:25:48 GMT
I'm going to put 2 webservers on 2 different locations. First i thought:
put half of the account op one machine, the other half on the other, so
that both machines hopefully have the same amount of traffic.

Then a read an article (http://linux.yyz.us/ipv6/proxy.html) about an
innovative way of making IPv6 webservers with proxies. When i didn't
really understand that, i searched the Apache Documentation and found
information
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_proxy.html#forwardreverse) on a
reverse proxy configuration.

Now i'm not really sure if it's possible, but lets say i use the linux
tool rsync to mirror the 2 webservers on different connections at
different locations, lets say once an hour or so, and use that described
reversed proxy, i get a load balancing effect? How should i see that..
is it like a client opens the website, and the proxies send the client
the website contents from 2 connections?

If i understand right, the bandwith for the website is increased, cause
2 different connections can send at the same time.. (though these
connections have an upload speed of 1Mbit/s, which would result in some
more than 1Mbit/s?).

Please let me know where i'm right, and where i'm wrong, or how i should
see it.

Thanks in advance,

Marvin Vek