httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Zakelj <c.zak...@ieee.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: attacks
Date Sat, 18 Sep 2004 04:10:37 GMT
Well, if you're running Linux or any of the BSD family, you don't have
to worry about these particular attacks, other than the possibility of
/var being filled by all the cruft that ends up in your logs because of
them.  That would result in a potential DoS situation depending on your
configuration.  Things are less certain if you are running Windows.
Though Apache itself isn't directly vunerable the same way IIS is,
security bugs may exist which could allow remote access, and since we
all know how secure Windows is.....

I strongly suggest using some sort of firewall between the internet at
large and your servers (I like OpenBSD+pf the best, but other options
exist), and making sure you keep up with security updates (the bugtraq
and securityfocus lists help immensely).  Besides that, read and learn
as much as you can.  Have a couple of boxes at home you can practice on,
screw around with, and not panic if/when you break them.  There will
*always* be someone attempting to gain access to your system.  Your job
is to make it harder to get in (mostly through firewalls, not running
unneeded services, and writing safe code), limiting damage should they
succeed (chroot jails, root/su/admin forbidden except from console,
write permission denial, etc), and ALWAYS HAVING BACKUPS.