httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Thomas C. Meggs" <...@plik.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] NameVirtualHost Defaults
Date Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:18:58 GMT
On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 05:00:59PM -0400, Mark McCulligh wrote:
> You are right in your assumption. If you have vhost using the same IP
> address and someone ask for a domain name that is not found to have its
> own vhost record it will load the first vhsot record with that IP address.
>
> I would use |ServerAlias:
> |

> <VirtualHost *:80>
> ServerName c.site.com
> ServerAlias d.site.com
> [... snip ...]
> </VirtualHost>
>
> I wouldn't do the _default_ method personally.  Using ServerAlias will
> keep you vhost record easy to read and know what will link to what. Just
> my two cents.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your response.

In my case, I would really like there to be a default site that
answers to any request not covered by a VirtualHost directive.

Idealy that site would not be the first alphabetical hostname,
but rather one that I specify. I would like to do this for both
ports 80 and 443 under one instance of apache2.

Are you familiar with any way to accomplish this? I was under the
assumption that using <VirtualHost _default_> would accomplish
this, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Tom